Sunday, January 20, 2008

Jewelry Hoist

I am going to share with you something that I am not proud of.

This is my bathroom.
I am planning to make this travesty beautiful by February 1st because A) I can't stand it anymore and B) my inlaws are coming to visit and we give them our room.

The Plan of Attack is outlined as such:
  • Organize jewelry that is strewn carelessly about the counter and sink area.
  • Store my makeup and hair products in a way that they are not visible but easily accesible.
  • CLEAN for heaven's sake!
The first step is the jewelry. Some of it has been in a tupperware bucket since I moved to Key West in September 2006. I decided to create my own jewelry organizer since I can never find one to purchase that will suit my needs.

I went to the (only) craft store and purchased a plain, empty wooden picture frame. Then on to Home Depot where I purchased some screen and some small bits of hardware: two sizes of screw-eyes, a picture hanger and some silver thumbtacks.






Next I rolled the screen out over the frame and trimmed it for the correct width of the frame.











Then I pinned the screen to the back of the screen on the inner level and outer level with the thumbtacks and trimmed off the excess screenage.






I screwed a small size screw eye into the front side on the top two corners and a large screw eye into the lower front side corners, followed by two additional sets of large screw eyes a bit above the bottom set.



I placed a skinny dowel (I purchased one and cut it into thirds) through the large screw eyes and hung necklaces on the bottom rung, rings and hoop earrings on the 2nd rung, bracelets on the 3rd rung and hung earrings on and in the screen.







Here it is just finished, and hung on the bathroom wall.

3 comments:

Tammie Jean said...

WOW!!! I'm impressed!

Marisa said...

Thanks, so am I! It's scary sometimes to take an idea from your head and make it come out right!

Jim Thomsen said...

Nicely done, my friend. That doesn't look makeshift at all. Very cleverly conceived and executed ... very craftgasmic.