Tuesday, February 26, 2008

How To Fake A Meatloaf


I am a vegetarian. By choice and because I was raised as one.

Meatloaf has always sounded good to me so tonight I googled "Morning Star crumbles vegetarian meatloaf" and came up with a few recipes. I printed them out, read them, and then did my own thing.

Keep in mind that measurements are all approximate, I didn't actually measure anything.

1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 large white onion, diced
celery salt
garlic powder
1 & 1/2 packages of Morning Star Farms burger crumbles
1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon basil flakes
1 cup bread crumbs (I didn't have quite a cup so I added about 1/4 cup of crushed cheese crackers)
2 eggs
1 cup fresh button mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup ketchup

Set oven to 350 Bake.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine olive oil and onion. Sprinkle with celery salt. Saute for about a minute and add fresh mushrooms.

In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, basil flakes and parsley flakes.

As mushrooms begin to soften, add burger crumbles and keep stirring to thaw crumbles. Once crumbles are thaw and mixture is fully mixed, remove from heat and add bread crumb mixture. Add eggs one at a time and stir in. Add ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle with garlic powder (about a 1/2 teaspoon).

Spray a 9x9 baking pan and press mixture into it. Bake for about an hour.

Very tasty with A-1.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet my kids would like this - I'm going to try it.

Marisa said...

Let me know how it turns out!!

Angela said...

Yum - Oh my gosh, I am so making this. You're inspirational you are! (And thank you for the sweet comments on my blog -- you are such a treasure!)

Anonymous said...

Ah, Adventist food may yet rise above its dastardly boarding-school reputation ....

Kelsie-lou said...

Yummmm....meatloaf.
The last thing I made for dinner was oven BBQ chicken...can you make that into veggie food?